Friday, March 14, 2003

Platform: Redhat Linux 8.0

Installing Dante--the build doesn't work. I was trying to install dante-1.1.13 (a free implementation of a SOCKS server that installs on Linux). During the build process I got the following errors:

sockd_request.c: Undefined
reference to `__bwap_32’ (
I got 6 of these errors)
sockd_request.0:~/dante-1.1.13/sockd/sockd_request.c:352:
more undefined references to `__bswap_32’ follow

collect2: ld
returned 1 exit status


I dug all over looking for this one, and eventually discovered it’s due to a broken entry in the gcc compiler under Redhat 8.0. The fix is to make some changes to /usr/include/bits/byteswap.h. Full details are in the gcc-prs mail archive. This is broken on my gcc RPM version gcc-3.2-7.

Change line 84 from

# define __bswap_16(x) \

to

# define __bswap_32(x) \

and now your build should work!

Dante
Dante Installation Instructions