Thursday, March 13, 2003

Platform: Windows 2000

My problem yesterday was that I needed a way to interrogate a Windows 2000 Server and determine which drives were connected to which controllers. When you've got a server with 3 dual channel SCSI cards and 8 hard drives, 2 backplanes, and a tape drive, it can be a bit of a bear to figure out. Adaptec has their commercial products that do this, I wanted something free. There was some German freeware that I found by googling it, but nothing free and easy. I started digging around looking for sample code from Microsoft to determine if I could write an app that would troll through the registry and see if I could manage to pull this off, and I ran across this little gem. FILE: Rescan. This sample app, a console Win32 C application, causes the system to rescan SCSI devices on the system. Redirect the output to a text file and you're done. Be careful--I wouldn't run this on a machine with lots of active I/O, but it did the job for me, and saved a bundle. Works on XP, too. Someday I'll test in on Win2k3.